Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the needs

Living in Millersburg this past year and a half, I feel I am finally noticing what the needs of this community are.
I'd like to share them today and perhaps we'll all begin to form ideas of how we can speak to these needs.

1.) I think the kids here in town are bored. Sometimes this makes them act out and do things that aren't best, or sometimes it just leaves them uninspired. There are activities here and there, but few things for them to do independently. I know a lot of the kids enjoy the basketball hoop in our parking lot or the one at the park. I grew up with a woods in my backyard and I have to admit, i'm not sure what I would have done without that outdoor playground.

2.) I think the elderly in this community are lonely. This is a thought that was shared to me by a friend who works closely with the law enforcement. He listed this as a more prevalent need than drugs or underage drinking.

3.) I think us young adults have a hard time finding direction. Where do we take the degrees we've just earned? Where can we find jobs? How can we afford to move out of our parents houses? The generations before us did it.... what's wrong with us?

I would love anyone and everyone to share thoughts.
Have you noticed these needs too?
Have you noticed other needs?
Do you have ideas for how these needs can be responded to?
Do any of these needs tap into areas of passion for you?

We've interacted with some of these needs, and sometimes we've felt these needs personally as well. I'm not sure there is a "solution" that is just waiting to burst into life in someone's brain, (though...perhaps there is!) I think sometimes we try to become "need-meeters" and "problem-solvers." We want to be providers in a sense. Sometimes it's harder than that though. Sometimes we are called to simply walk with those in need and learn from them. Sometimes we are called to experience this need with people and sometimes God shows us actions we can take.

Sometimes we need to just try something.
Other times we need to watch and learn before we act.
Still other times, we fall into place and God works in the midst of our unknowing.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment